Flashback Theater Co. (FbTC) is searching for works of local and regional playwrights for upcoming workshops and/or possible production. This will serve as an opportunity for new and seasoned playwrights to develop their work. If selected, FbTC will cater to the specific play’s needs through a workshop process involving local talent and/or a fully staged production in the versatile Black Box performance space as part of a future season. Each submission should be full length, and both comedies and dramas are accepted. The final date for submission for consideration in the next season of workshops and productions will be November 15th, 2019.
Requirements for Submission
- Plays must be an original property of the submitting playwright
- Plays should be full length (80-120 minutes is ideal)
- Plays must be the work of an artist from Somerset, Kentucky or the surrounding region
- Plays should be written in a neat, standard play format
- Dramas and Comedies will be accepted, Musicals will not be considered at this time
- Plays may have previous workshop/production history or be available as a premiere
Take into consideration FbTC’s previous season selections usually demand a cast of about 6-8, with doubling allowed, and performance space is limited so your submission should allow for creative set and design opportunities.
Readers Will Be Looking For
- Neatness and Organization of Format
- Compelling Story
- Original Message
- Character Development
- Regional Tie-in (local story, values, or voice of local playwright)
Go to www.flashbacktheater.co/history to research the types of plays Flashback Theater has produced in the past to take into consideration while making your final decisions for submission.
How to Submit
Send a copy of your play (pdf preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, November 15th. Please include previous production history in your email (if any) and a cover page in your PDF file consisting of:
- Title of your work
- Your Full Name
- Your Physical Address
- Your Email
- Phone Number you can most easily be reached at
- Agent or licensing information, if applicable to the submitted work
FbTC is dedicated to amplifying a local or regional voice, the unique perspective possessed by artists right here at home. As per the FbTC mission statement, we are interested in exploring our present relationship to the world through the lens of our past interactions as a community and through the passionate pursuit of theater that speaks to the soul. Investing in stories by and about our community is a vital aspect of this goal. Over the course of FbTC history, it has workshopped and produced the world premiere of two plays by local artists: Rosies: the Women who Riveted the Nation by Amber Frangos, and Boats Against the Current by William H. McCann, Jr.
For questions or clarifications about the submission process, please email email@example.com and allow 5-7 business days for response. Submitted works will be reviewed and notified of status by February 15, 2020.